Jenni Smith is a contemporary quilt artist, who also runs a thriving sewing school in Ilkley – just downstairs from our studio! You can sometimes find her on the small screen as a designer on Sewing Quarter TV.
We were super excited when Jenni bobbed into our office asking us to create the packaging design and instruction manuals for her Hepworth Apron pattern. She wanted to create a visual look that struck a balance between modern and vintage and which could be built upon in future projects.
THE ELBOW GREASE
To create something that complemented Jenni’s beautiful designs we:
- sat down with Jenni and her studio manager Kay to fully understand their aspirations for the business and their target audiences
- researched trends in the handmade and craft sector and brainstormed ideas for visuals
- developed an initial design that was met with very positive reaction from the Jenni Smith Team
Using the initial visuals we came up with for the Hepworth Apron, we’ve created the following pieces for Jenni to help market her bespoke products:
- the outer packaging, instruction booklets and downloadable patterns for the Hepworth Apron and the Riley Collection
- a booklet for the Myfanwy fabric collection in conjunction with the Quilt Guild of the British Isles
- booklets for the Alice Rabbit and Morris Mouse quilt patterns made with Liberty of London fabrics
Jenni Smith now has a solid template for the marketing and packaging of her patterns, helping her to build her target market and an instantly recognisable brand. This has also helped in other professional ventures, such as her collaboration with Liberty of London.
THE KIND WORDS
“I had approached a number of creative agencies before I sat down with the team at Thynne and shared my vision for our sewing and quilts patterns. I instantly felt that we were on the same wavelength and it has been a really exciting journey so far. Johnny and Mary are honest and down to earth but really inspiring too. They have been brilliant on a tight deadline, have helped me understand about the print industry and are always reliable. I have had so many positive comments on all of the packaging and booklets we’ve created together and we now sell products worldwide. I was quoted such varied prices for building a brand, but with Thynne it has evolved from interesting conversations, trust and figuring each new challenge together.”
Artist and Designer